In 2007 the Department of Psychological Sciences instituted a Graduate Student Advisory Committee (GSAC) to allow a venue for graduate students to develop ideas and provide feedback to the department about the graduate programs.
The committee consists of a student representative from each of the department’s PhD programs, the Graduate Program Coordinator, and the Associate Department Head for Graduate Studies. Representatives serve staggered two-year terms with three divisions selecting new representatives in alternating years (except the IO division which selects a new rep each year). Students in their second year and beyond are eligible to serve as representatives.
Current GSAC Representatives
|Industrial & Organizational||Ethan Gossettfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|PAC – Ecological||Spencer Ferrisemail@example.com|
|PAC – Language & Cognition
Recent Committee Activities/Accomplishments:
- Successfully lobbied to have IOR positions raised from 10-hour TA to 15-hour TA
- Successfully lobbied for increase in departmental Graduate Student Travel Funding
- Clarified process for IOR mentoring
- Requested clarification of proctoring responsibilities/authority resulting in new departmental Proctoring Policy (see Grad Student Handbook)
- Registered GSAC as a university organization to secure additional funding for GSAC activities
- Meet with the Department Head to discuss issues and concerns
- Coordinate invitation of speakers for Departmental Colloquium (please see your division rep if you have ideas for speakers)
- Serve as a resource to new students to answer questions and provide information regarding life at UCONN in general and in their particular programs
- Coordinate interdivisional social activities